HO CHI MINH CITY URBAN DRAINAGE COMPANY LIMITED
UDC previously was Lighting – Pavement – Drainage Company under the Housing and Public Works Department established under Decision No. 47/QĐ-UB dated April 29th , 1980 by Ho Chi Minh City People’s Committee;
In 1993, the company was re-established with the name Urban Drainage Company (UDC) under Decision No. 34/QĐ-UB dated 26/01/1993 by Ho Chi Minh City People's Committee (splitted off from Lighting - Pavement - Drainage Company)
In 1997, UDC was converted into a State owned Enterprise in the field of public service under Decision No. 5348/QD-UB-KT dated Oct 02nd, 1997 and Decision No. 6952/QD-UB-KT dated Dec 03, 1997 by the Ho Chi Minh City People's Committee.
In 2010, UDC was converted into Ho Chi Minh City Urban Drainage Company Limited under Decision No. 2884/QD-UBND dated July 05th, 2010 by the HCMC People's Committee.
From 1980 to 1990: the Lighting – Pavement – Drainage Company only had 4 maintenance teams with nearly 200 employees who performed dredging and maintenance of drainage system, management and maintenance of lighting system in unban areas of Ho Chi Minh City; 1988 UDC modified its organizational structure, established 5 enterprises: lighting enterprise, pavement enterprise and 03 drainage maintenance enterprises according to catchment basins: Sai gon, Cho Lon, Gia Dinh with a workforce of about 230 employees.
In 1993, after separating from lighting enterprise and pavement enterprise; UDC then consisted of 03 drainage maintenance enterprises; with functions of management, maintenance of sewer system, cannals, channels in the existing urban area with an area of about 140 km2; with a workforce of about 300 employees.
In 1998, UDC expanded its service coverage to suburbs with an area of about 510 km2; 04 drainage maintenance enterprises were established ( No.1, 2, 3, 4) with a workforce of about 400 employees
From 2000 to 2005: After decentration of infrastructure systems management to districts; 06 drainage maintenance enterprises and 1 canal/channel maintenance enterprise were re-established with a workforce of over employees then; maintaining of drainage system serving 20/22 districts (except Nha Be, Can Gio district).
After taking over of drainage and wastewater treatment works completed from several projects, UDC managed over 1000km long drainage system, pumping stations, wastewater treament plants, with service coverage of 23/24 district (except Can Gio); a workforce of about 800 employee then; UDC re-established 16 enterprises: 10 basin-based drainage maintenance enterprises, 02 enterprises for operation of wastwater treatment plants, 01 enterprise for operation of pumpstation, tide control dams, 02 Infrastructure Works Construction enterprises, 01 consultancy enterprise.
- 1997: UDC took over management and operation of the first centralized wastewater treatment plant in Ho Chi Minh city with capacity of 500m3/day, which serves residents in Tan Quy Dong residential area, District 7;
- 2003: UDC applied a new technology in Vietnam: inspection of sewer system condition by closed circuit television video (CCTV),
- 02/2005: UDC officially applied ISO 9001-2000 certified by QUACERT for quality management.
- In 2005: the first year that UDC applied comprehensive LUMP SUM PRICE program on drainage services with South of Nhieu Loc – Thi Nghe as pilot basin; in 2006, the program was applied for 3 more basins in urban areas and for some sewer pipelines in suburban areas; the program was premise for comprehensive ordering alternative for management, operation of drainage system in Ho Chi Minh City.
- 2006: UDC took over management and operation of Binh Hung Hoa wastewater treatment plant with capacity 30.000 m3/day with aerated lagoon technology, funded by the Belgian government; took over operation of Binh Trieu, Rach Lang tide control stations, which eliminates flood in area of Binh Thanh, Go Vap Districts
- 6/2008: UDC sucessully completed installation of D1200 pipeline by pipejacking method with high accuracy, depth of 14m, from shaft S8 to shaft S8-1 in Tran Hung Dao Street, of Water Environment Improvement Project. The works was highly appreciated by Japanese NES Joint Venture
- 5/2009: UDC took over, managed and successfully operated the largest wastewater collection system of Vietnam: main interceptor sewer system (D300-2.200), Dong Dieu Intermediate Pumping Station in District 8, Binh Hưng Wastewater Treatment Plant with capacity of 141.000m3/day, of Water Environment Improvement Project for Tau Hu - Kenh Doi – Kenh Te basin
- 6/2009: UDC took over operation and maintenance of Nhieu Loc – Thi Nghe pumping station, capacity 64.000m3, of Water Environment Improvement Project
- Ngày 14/9/2011: tunnel boring machine (TBM) reached East Bank Shaft (District 2) at the depth of 40m marking the complete installation of D3000 pipeline crossing under Sai Gon river. This is the first pipejacking works with large diameter implemented by UDC - a Vietnamese contractor.
Contact for drainage failures
(028)3 823 4444
04 Nguyễn Thiện Thuật, phường 24, quận Bình Thạnh, TP.HCM
Tel: (028) 38.230.800 - (028) 730.555.33